The STAR (Success Through Academic Readiness) Center instructors provide academic assistance to help students succeed in curriculum, developmental, continuing education and basic skills classes.
- Free, non-credit, workshop-type classes open to all BRCC students. Classes are offered in grammar skills, literature, basic math, pre-algebra and reading (with other subjects offered on an as needed basis).
- Remedial English, reading and math instruction
- One-on-one individualized instruction
- Tutoring provided by BRCC instructors
- GED and Adult Basic Education (ABE) instruction
- Study Skills Workshops (learning styles, note taking, test taking, memory skills, time management, etc.)
- Education Information Sessions (BRCC program offerings, application process, available financial aid, etc.)
- Mini-workshops on goal setting, test anxiety, stress reduction
Screenings and Testing:
- Irlen screenings (visual perception condition that hinders effective reading)
- Test proctoring for make-up tests given by Campus adjunct instructors
- TABE testing for Basic Skills students
- College Placement Testing (Accuplacer)
- GED and ABE registration and orientation
A STAR Center instructor is always available, during STAR Center open hours, to help in the use of materials and to provide additional assistance when needed!
Location and Hours:
The STAR Center is located in the David W. Sink, Jr. Building, on the second floor in Room 229. The Center is open on all days that Campus classes are in session, on the following schedule:
Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The Peer Tutoring Program provides additional support to all students at BRCC. Free tutoring is available in many subjects, provided by trained, instructor-recommended tutors.
To Receive Tutoring:
For more information about receiving tutoring, contact the STAR Center or see your class instructor.
To be a Peer Tutor:
The Peer Tutoring Program is always seeking students, who excel in a particular subject, to become a Peer Tutor. Peer Tutors are paid by the hour with College funds. If you think you would be a good tutor, see your instructor who teaches the subject you would like to tutor. All tutors must be recommended by a BRCC instructor.
694-1648 or 694-1635 (9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
694-1635 (5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.)
Tips for Academic Success