Motorcycle Safety Courses
Quick jump to:
|Basic Rider Course (BRC):
This course is for persons who have never been on a motorcycle as well as for anyone who wishes to improve their riding skills. Ability to balance and sufficient strength to handle a motorcycle is necessary for successful completion of course. Students must possess a valid driver’s license or learner’s permit before enrolling. As of May 1, 1995, the North Carolina DMV will accept the MSF Course Completion Card as a substitute for the skills test when applying for the motorcycle endorsement. Program motorcycles are provided and must be used in the Basic Rider Course. Students must attend the entire 20-hour course and pass written and riding skills tests before receiving the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Course Completion Card. The range training may extend past 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday depending on progression of training.
BRC classes meet:
- Friday, 6 to 10 p.m., TEDC Room 302, to complete the online portion of the course
- Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Patton Parking Lot
Some Summer BRC classes will meet:
- Thursday, 6 to 10 p.m., TEDC Room 302, to complete the online portion of the course
- Friday and Saturday or Sunday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Patton Parking Lot
Registration Fee: $190
|April 7-9, 2017||F Sa Su||CSP 8019 601|
|April 21-23, 2017||F Sa Su||CSP 8019 602|
|April 28-30, 2017||F Sa Su||CSP 8019 603|
|May 25-27, 2017||Th F Sa||CSP 8019 601|
|June 1-4, 2017||Th F Su||CSP 8019 602|
|June 8-11, 2017||Th F Su||CSP 8019 603|
|June 15-17, 2017||Th F Sa||CSP 8019 604|
|June 22-25, 2017||Th F Su||CSP 8019 605|
|June 29 to July 1, 2017||Th F Sa||CSP 8019 606|
|July 6-9, 2017||Th F Su||CSP 8019 607|
|July 13-16, 2017||Th F Su||CSP 8019 608|
|July 20-23, 2017||Th F Su||CSP 8019 609|
|Aug. 3-5, 2017||Th F Sa||CSP 8019 610|
|Aug. 10-12, 2017||Th F Sa||CSP 8019 611|
|Aug. 18-20, 2017||F Sa Su||CSP 8019 601|
|Aug. 25-27, 2017||F Sa Su||CSP 8019 602|
|Oct. 13-15, 2017||F Sa Su||CSP 8019 603|
|Oct. 20-22, 2017||F Sa Su||CSP 8019 604|
|Oct. 27-29, 2017||F Sa Su||CSP 8019 605|
|Nov. 3-5, 2017||F Sa Su||CSP 8019 606|
|Nov. 10-12, 2017||F Sa Su||CSP 8019 607|
|Basic Rider Course II (BRC II):
Basic Rider Course II (BRC II) This eight hour course is for the rider with at least six months or 3,000 miles riding experience. Students must possess a valid Motorcycle learner’s permit* or Motorcycle Endorsement before enrolling. Students will need to furnish a street-legal, properly licensed and insured motorcycle of any size. If the motorcycle is not registered in the student’s name, written permission from the owner to use the motorcycle must be furnished. All motorcycles will be inspected for proper and safe condition with particular attention to tires. If you normally carry a passenger, your passenger will also need to register and pay the 2-Up Passenger fee. Students must attend the full 8 hr. course to receive the MSF Completion card.
* If you are taking the course to get your Motorcycle endorsement, you will need to take the Street Strategies e-course ($19.99) prior to the day of the class and show the Certificate of Completion on Saturday morning. Please call our office for more information.
BRC II classes meet from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays or Sundays at the Patton Parking Lot.
Registration Fee: $85
Registration Fee for 2-Up Passengers: $30
|June 10, 2017||Sa||CSP 8057 602|
|June 18, 2017||Su||CSP 8057 603|
|June 24, 2017||Sa||CSP 8057 604|
|July 8, 2017||Sa||CSP 8057 605|
|July 15, 2017||Sa||CSP 8057 606|
|July 22, 2017||Sa||CSP 8057 607|
|Aug. 13, 2017||Su||CSP 8057 608|
|Basic Rider Course II - 2Up Passenger:|
|June 10, 2017||Sa||CSP 8145 602|
|June 18, 2017||Su||CSP 8145 603|
|June 24, 2017||Sa||CSP 8145 604|
|July 8, 2017||Sa||CSP 8145 605|
|July 15, 2017||Sa||CSP 8145 606|
|July 22, 2017||Sa||CSP 8145 607|
|Aug. 13, 2017||Su||CSP 8145 608|
|Advanced Rider Course (ARC):
This eight-hour course is for the rider with a valid motorcycle license or endorsement. Riders must provide their own street-legal and safe motorcycle. All types of motorcycle are permitted. Based on the Military Sport Bike Course, this one-day course is for experienced riders who desire to learn and practice more in-depth riding techniques. Classroom activities use small group discussions and interactive activities to explore personal risk management strategies; to discuss options for cornering, braking and swerving; and to improve visual perception to identify collision traps. On-cycle range exercises provide practice in cornering, braking and swerving. There is no skill test in this course.
ARC classes meet from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays or Sundays at the Patton Parking Lot.
Registration Fee: $85
|May 28, 2017||Su||CSP 8417 601|
|Aug. 6, 2017||Su||CSP 8417 602|
Proper Riding Gear Requirements
Proper riding gear must be worn at all times while attending the course, including Friday evening.
All students must wear the following:
- Helmet and Eye Protection: The helmet must meet DOT standards and can be full face, ¾ or ½ in design. Helmets with obvious defects such as no lining, a cracked shell, or defective chinstrap will not be used. Sunglasses meet the eye protection requirement.
- Over-the-Ankle Footwear: Shoes should be predominantly leather in construction and cover the anklebone. High top athletic shoes that meet the above criteria may be worn.
- Pants: Pant legs should reach the shoe tops and be made preferably of denim or a material of equivalent durability.
- Long-sleeve Shirt or Jacket: If the student chooses to wear a long-sleeve shirt, a jacket is not required. A shirt with sleeves to the wrist made of a durable material is preferred. The shirt should cover the rider’s shoulders (no shoulder cutouts allowed).
- Gloves: Gloves should be full fingered and preferable made of leather. Style and material are the student’s choice.
Registration for Motorcycle Safety courses can be found on the Registration Page.