Blue Ridge Community College offers a continuing education program in Phlebotomy. The program schedule and enrollment requirements are outlined on this page.
Health Care Program Information
Henderson County Registration: Please note NEW registration location.
Registration for these programs is done in-person Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (closed 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. for lunch) at the Henderson County Campus in the Continuing Education Building, NCWorks Office, Room 125F. To contact the program assistant call (828) 694-1750.
Health Care classes will be moving soon (expected in August 2016)
Transylvania County Registration
On the first Thursday of each month from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and third Tuesday of each month from 1 to 4 p.m. registration is held at the Transylvania County Campus in Straus Building Student Welcome Center. To contact the program assistant call (828) 694-1750.
Requirements for Registration
Students must have proof of all requirements and payment at registration.
Registration will be limited to 15 persons (first-come, first-serve). A short waiting list may be taken.
- The student must be 18 years old or older.
- The student must provide a copy of current license in Nurse Aide I, II or Medical Assistant.
- The student must provide a copy of current CPR certification.
- The student must provide copy of a high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma.
- Provide proof of medical requirements (see above).
The following identifications are required:
- Signed Social Security Card (cannot be laminated), or letter from Social Security Office.
- Current Driver’s License or government-issued picture ID. Names must match.
About the Program
Phlebotomy technicians draw blood from patients and prepare specimens for testing or storage. They work in hospitals, physicians’ offices, laboratories, clinics and blood banks. If you are seeking a career in the health care field, like working with people, and possess good interpersonal skills, a career as a phlebotomy technician may be for you.
The Phlebotomy program is an intense course of study with 3 phases (class, lab and clinical) that prepares students for technician positions to draw blood from patients and prepare specimens for testing or storage in hospitals, physicians’ offices, laboratories, clinics and blood banks. Content includes the circulatory system, anatomy, physiology, and the phlebotomist role in the health care system. The course also covers procedures and the responsibility and skills required for job acquisition, retention, and advancement.
|August 17 to December 14||M W||8 a.m. to 4 p.m.||Health Sciences Center
Clinical days and times will be announced and will vary.
- To be paid at registration: $352.30 (includes $1.30 accident insurance) payable to Blue Ridge Community College.
- Textbook available at the College Bookstore. Cost varies. Contact the College Bookstore at (828) 694-1720.
- ID Tag: $5 (Available at the College Bookstore.)
- Gray Scrubs: (estimate) $30
- Criminal Background Check and Drug Screening: $66.50 (form available first day of class, cost varies)
Students must have proof of immunization for Rubella, Chicken Pox Titer, recent Two-Step TB Skin test with results (good thru clinical), proof of the first Hepatitis B Inoculation OR signed release form for the Hepatitis B Inoculation, and a current Tetanus, before enrolling in the program. A medical form is available for your convenience. Local health departments can provide any or all of the above.
Scheduled days, hours and duration for each clinical experience will vary according to the clinical facility, but must total 90 hours. Clinical hours may start as early as 5 a.m. and end as late as 5 p.m. Students are usually scheduled 6 to 8 hours per day. A variety of facilities are utilized for clinical practicums. Students must have reliable transportation and be able to travel to designated facilities.
Students should be familiar with the program guidelines before enrolling in the program.
For more information about the Phlebotomy program:
Blue Ridge Community College
Blue Ridge Community College