Quality Enhancement Plan
What is a QEP?
A Quality Enhancement Plan, or QEP, is a comprehensive, 5-year action plan that targets an issue identified by the institution as important to increasing student learning and/or success. It is an integral part of the reaccreditation process of any Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC) member. The QEP is derived through the institution’s ongoing planning and evaluation processes, has widespread support of key stakeholders, aims to improve student learning and/or success, includes outcomes and a plan for measuring success, and demonstrates the institution’s capacity to undertake and complete the plan.
What is BRCC’s QEP?
Explore, Experience, Engage: Get Online @ BRCC
The overall goal of BRCC’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) is to increase student success in online courses. Success is defined and measured in two ways:
- 10% increase in the retention of students in online courses
- 10% increase in the number of students who complete an online course with a final grade of C or better.
BRCC has created learning outcomes and strategies to reach both students and faculty. These learning outcomes and strategies will ensure both parties are aware of their roles and responsibilities within the online learning environment so that students and faculty can better engage with one another and course material.
What are the learning outcomes?
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Online students will identify abilities and behaviors indicative of highly engaged students in an online course.
- Online students will demonstrate abilities and behaviors indicative of highly engaged students by collaborating meaningfully with faculty and peers using appropriate technologies.
- Online students will reflect on and evaluate their own level of engagement.
Faculty Learning Outcomes:
- Online faculty will engage students with higher levels of communication and instructor presence.
- Online faculty will construct courses that promote a high level of engagement.
What are the key strategies?
- Revise Moodle Orientation to better prepare students for online learning
- Require Moodle Orientation prior to students’ taking online courses
- Implement new technologies to increase communication and collaboration with peers and instructors in online courses
- Stimulate self-awareness of and reflection on engagement in online courses
- Enhance instruction through internationally recognized online teaching certification by Quality Matters
- Revise online courses to create more engaging learning environments
- Implement new technologies to increase communication and collaboration with students in online courses
For more information, view the full Quality Enhancement Plan