Blue Ridge Community College is committed to maintaining healthy and safe teaching and learning spaces for our students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors. Please read this update carefully and feel free to contact your instructor, supervisor or vice president if you have any questions.
Update: August 7, 2020; 3 p.m.
Update: August 7, 2020; 4:20 p.m.
Do Your Part
Expectations for a Safe(r) Semester
at Blue Ridge Community College
Social distance. Stay 6 feet apart. Follow signage and traffic flow inside buildings.
Wear a face covering.
Face coverings or masks are required. They must cover your nose and mouth.
Wash or sanitize your hands frequently.
Stay home when you are sick.
Notify your instructor as soon as possible if you have tested positive for COVID-19, are awaiting a test result for COVID-19, or have COVID-like symptoms. Provide your instructor with the following information:
- Your full name and contact information
- Names of your instructors
- Names of classes you attended in person during the previous week
- Whether face covering was worn in class
- Whether you need support services, i.e. computer, hot spot and etc.
Student information will be kept confidential within the College’s COVID-19 Response Team per FERPA guidelines.
Check your Blue Ridge Community College student email account frequently for updates from your instructors.
Follow us on social media for updates.
Update: July 23, 2020; 8:45 a.m.
What to Expect Fall Semester
With the fall semester quickly approaching on August 19, we are preparing — just as we always are –for a successful start to the semester. Obviously, this year looks a little different, but our intentions of helping you reach your educational goals and prepare for your future are unwavering.
Staff and faculty are working together to ensure we can operate as safely as possible while delivering top quality instruction and training to our students. As we’ve all come to expect in our “new normal,” we recognize that all plans are made with the understanding that changes in federal, state, county, and North Carolina Community College guidance may require quick adjustments going forward. Flexibility, patience, and teamwork continue to be our guiding principles.
Here’s what to expect for Fall Semester:
Blue Ridge will offer instruction in various formats to best serve student needs and meet social distancing and protective practices requirements.
- HyFlex: With appropriate physical distancing and protective practices in place, Blue Ridge will offer in-person lecture classes on our campuses. However, in many cases, these courses will also provide HyFlex options that allow some students to be in the classroom with an instructor, and others the ability to view the lecture remotely from home. This option gives students a choice to come to class or attend remotely if they prefer.
- Hybrid: Blue Ridge will also offer a blended option where some courses will have a reduced number of days and hours that students are required to be on campus.
- Online: This year, the College is offering even more courses that are 100% online. Even some science lab courses are being offered online. Please be advised that some course sections that are currently scheduled to meet in-person may be rescheduled to meet online if guidance from local and state authorities changes. Please check your Blue Ridge email address regularly for the latest schedule updates from the College and your faculty.
- In-person Labs: Most lab classes will continue on campus with appropriate physical distancing and protective practices in place. We appreciate your patience as you’ll notice that some labs may use additional screening tools to ensure students’ safety in these classes. Hands-on Courses: Strict safety guidelines will be in place for those students taking hands-on courses such as automotive, welding, healthcare, and cosmetology. Should conditions or guidance change, students will be updated and appropriate accommodations made.
The good news is that students have the option to come to campus at a frequency that suits their comfort level. Whether it’s a minimal number of times or not at all, fully online or HyFlex, or hands-on instruction, you have choices.
Blue Ridge’s Current Physical Distancing and Protective Practices
The following list will be updated regularly to include the latest guidance from state and local health authorities.
- Masks and physical distancing (minimum of 6’ apart) are required while on campus.
- Physical distancing is reinforced by taping off seats and areas to discourage the gathering of individuals.
- Physical distancing is reinforced by signs to control traffic flow in hallways and customer service areas.
- Plexiglass counter guards have been installed in customer service areas such as Cashier and One Stop.
- Frequent handwashing is strongly encouraged, but when hand washing is not an option, we encourage the use of hand sanitizer.
- We have increased the number of hand sanitizer stations on campus.
- Posters are displayed in classrooms and on entry doors to buildings reminding students and visitors to follow established rules for masks and physical distancing. These posters are highlighted to students and visitors regularly by faculty and staff.
- Virtual meetings with academic advisors, student services staff, and faculty are available for students.
- To support remote learning platforms and other technology needs, we encourage students to email firstname.lastname@example.org for technology support.
We remain committed to delivering a high-quality, elevated educational experience regardless of your program or course selection. Blue Ridge is working hard to protect the well-being of everyone in our campus community. If you are attending classes in person at any of our locations, we expect you to adhere to all safety protocols and guidelines. These include wearing a face covering, keeping a physical distance of six feet from others, washing your hands frequently, and staying home if you feel ill.
This video provides an overview of our current safety protocols:
Registration for the fall semester is now open. If you would like to make changes to your schedule or still need to register, you may do so by emailing email@example.com to request assistance from an academic advisor.
Thank you for your trust in Blue Ridge. Remember, we are Education Elevated.
- Internet Options during COVID-19
- Small Business Center: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Small Businesses
- Faculty and Staff Directory (to find email addresses of faculty and staff)
WiFi Spots in Campus Parking Lots