Descriptions of the North Carolina Diagnostic and Assessment Tests (NC DAP)
Developmental Math (DMA)
DMA 010 Operations with Integers:
These questions test conceptual understanding of problems that the use of integer operations, finding absolute value, evaluating and writing exponents, evaluation square roots, and using the correct order of operations. Geometry applications include perimeter and area of rectangles and squares, angle facts, and the Pythagorean Theorem. This section also includes the use of positive and negative numbers.
DMA 020 Fractions and Decimals:
These questions test understanding of fractions and decimals, basic operations, and the application of these concepts to solve contextual problems. Geometric application problems include polygons, circumference and area of circles, and the concept of pi.
DMA 030 Proportions/Rations/Rates/Percentages:
These questions test conceptual understanding and use of ratios, rates, percentages, and proportions to solve application problems. Applications include the use of the U.S. customary and metric units of measurement and the geometry of similar triangles.
DMA 040 Expressions, linear Equations, Linear Inequalities:
These questions test understanding of graphical and algebraic representations of linear expressions, equations, and inequalities. In addition, they test the ability to simplify linear expressions and to solve linear equations and inequalities.
DMA 050 Graphs and Equations of Lines:
These questions test your understanding of graphical and algebraic representations of lines. In addition, they test the ability to solve contextual application problems and to interpret basic graphs.
DMA 060 Polynomials and Quadratic Applications:
These questions test understanding of the graphical and algebraic representations of quadratic functions and the ability to find algebraic solutions to quadratic applications. In addition, they test the ability to perform polynomial operations, factor polynomials, and apply factoring to solve polynomial equations.
Developmental Reading and English (DRE)
The North Carolina Community College Diagnostic and Assessment Placement Test (NC DAP) is made up of three sections: Reading, Revising and Editing Writing and a written essay.
This section contains 30 questions. Topics covered in this section include:
• Main Idea/Summary
• Supporting Detail/Paraphrase
• Point of View, Fact-Opinion, and Bias (paired passage)
• Author’s Use of Language
Revising and Editing Writing:
This section contains 20 questions. Topics covered in this section include:
• Sentence Combining
• Revising Sentences, Inserting Sentences, and Deleting Sentences
• Topic Sentences, Thesis Statements, and Concluding Sentences
• Grammar, mechanics, Sentence Structure, and Word Choice.
Write Placer (Essay):
This section measures your ability to write effectively, which is critical to academic success. The following six characteristics of writing will be considered:
• Purpose and Focus: The extent to which the writer presents information in a unified and coherent manner, clearly addressing the issue.
• Organization and Structure: The extent to which the writer orders and connects ideas.
• Development and Support: The extent to which the writer develops and supports ideas.
• Sentence Variety and Style: The extent to which the writer crafts sentences and paragraphs demonstrating the control of vocabulary, voice, and structure.
• Mechanical Conventions: The extent to which the writer expresses ideas using standard English.
• Critical Thinking; The extent to which the writer communicates a point of view and demonstrates reasoned relationships among ideas.