Cybersecurity BUZZ is a place to share perspectives on emerging technology subjects. We aim to challenge, inform and respect all who join us as we investigate the pressing and controversial issues of our time.
Every Buzz event involves discussion of timely and potentially controversial topics facilitated by Information Technology faculty and staff of Blue Ridge Community College. It is important to note that not every topic involves a clear right or wrong answer. The purpose of these discussions is not to find the right answers, it is to learn and be more informed participants in the broader conversation that will affect our collective future.
Why should I attend?
Much of our social lives and professional careers already involve using a variety of technologies and communicating effectively over the Internet. These technologies and our interactions with them are continually evolving. Decisions are being made everyday that will directly impact both the future of these technologies and, thereby, our future social and professional lives. Represent your future self by participating in the conversation today.
How does it work?
In order to participate in Cybersecurity Buzz discussions, all participants must agree to abide by the following:
- Commit to learning, not debating.
- Comment in order to share information, not to persuade
- Listen respectfully, without interrupting
- Avoid blame, speculation, and inflammatory language
- Allow everyone the chance to speak
Additionally, College facilitators must:
- Facilitate the discussion, not lecture
- Ensure the discussion remains civil and respectful
- Answer questions when asked or when it is necessary to move the conversation forward
- Correct any inaccurate information
- Keep the conversation moving forward – often by asking questions or bringing up counterpoints / counterviews that haven’t been fully expressed by others
- Avoid expressing personal opinions until the end of the discussion or not at all. The goal is for students to share their views.
“The Future of TikTok”
April 19 | 1:30 p.m.
Stay tuned for future Cybersecurity Buzz events.
Cybersecurity Buzz is a collaboration between the Information Technology and Student Life programs of Blue Ridge Community College.