The placement test is important and can have a major impact on the cost of education and how long it takes a student to complete his/her program. It is strongly recommended that all students spend time reviewing before taking the placement test.
An solicitud de admisión must be submitted before scheduling your placement test. Students with disabilities who require special arrangements and/or accommodations should contact Disability Services by phone (828) 694-1813 at least two weeks prior to the date of test. Accommodations cannot be provided without prior approval from the Disability Services office.
- Appointment for Test
- Resources for Preparation for Test
- Retest Policy
- Placement Test Waiver Policy
- Request Copy of Test Scores
Appointment for Test
Due to COVID-19 Blue Ridge Community College will be administering the placement test remotely. This means you can now take the placement test safely from your home. If you have concerns about your internet and technology capabilities please call (828)694-1800 and we can address your concerns. Please email email@example.com to schedule a testing time, verify your identity, and certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Academic Honesty Policy.
Blue Ridge uses the NROC Assessment from EdReady, which is administered on a computer. The NROC Assessment consists of EdReady English and EdReady Math. Although the English and Math Assessments are not timed, it is highly recommended that students test for each area on separate days.
Tier 1: Units 1-6
Unit 1: Introduction to College Reading and Writing
Unit 2: Identifying Main Ideas
Unit 3: Discovering Implied Meaning
Unit 4: Interpreting Bias
Unit 5: Analysis through Definition
Unit 6: Learning Across Disciplines
Tier 2: Units 7-10
Unit 7: Exploring Comparative Elements
Unit 8: Informed Opinions through Causal Chains
Unit 9: Applied Critical Analysis
Unit 10: Using Sources in Critical Reading and Writing
You will be provided with a calculator and formula sheet.
Tier 1: Units 1 – 8
Unit 1: Whole Numbers
Unit 2: Fraction and Mixed Numbers
Unit 3: Decimals
Unit 4: Ratios, Rates, and Proportions
Unit 5: Percents
Unit 6: Measurement
Unit 7: Geometry
Unit 8: Real Numbers
Tier 2: Units 9 – 12
Unit 9: Solving Equations and Inequalities
Unit 10: Graphing
Unit 11: Exponents and Polynomials
Unit 12: Concepts in Statistics
Tier 3: Units 13 – 17
Unit 13: Factoring
Unit 14: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
Unit 15: Rational Expressions
Unit 16: Radical Expressions and Quadratic Equations
Unit 17: Functions
The English portion of the test could take up to approximately two hours. The Math portion of the test could take up to approximately two hours depending on the number of math test modules required based on your program of study. English and Math should be taken in separate test sessions.
After you complete the test, your Individual Score Report will be available in Student Services where you will meet with a counselor for an explanation of your scores and course placement.
If you have questions about the test, feel free to schedule an appointment with a counselor in Student Services.
Resources for Test Preparation
The following links are for resources that will assist in the preparation for the NROC Assessment:
- Test Taking Tips
Retest Guidelines: In general, the NROC placement test provides a reasonable assessment of a student’s abilities in English, reading, and math skills. In some cases, however, students may question their placement in one or more of these areas.
Retesting: A student wishing to retake any part of the NROC placement test for any reason is allowed one retest attempt in each developmental module. Students requesting a retest in a particular unit will be charged a fee for each unit in which a retest is desired. Fees are set annually by the College Trustees. Once the student has paid for the retest, he or she may receive a retest during a regularly scheduled official placement test session. Students will be placed in a course according to the better of the two test scores. Students are not allowed to retest to attempt to place out of a developmental class in which they are currently enrolled after the add/drop period has ended.
A student may be allowed to retest at his/her discretion in any or all of the subject areas assessed (English, Math) following their initial placement test based on the following guidelines:
- A student who chooses to retest must obtain a Retest Request Form from an Admissions Counselor.
- Students must pay $5.00 per test unit. Each area constitutes a unit. An entire test would be four units. This is subject to change without notice.
- Retest fees must be paid in advance to the Blue Ridge Cashier. The paid receipt and Retest Request Form must be returned to an Admissions Counselor who will register the student for a retest. An Admissions Counselor may be reached at (828) 694-1800.
- Retests must be scheduled by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Initial tests and retests include the NROC Assessment taken at either Blue Ridge campus or through a Blue Ridge high school program (Career and College Promise).
- Students are not allowed to retest to attempt to place out of a developmental class in which they are currently enrolled once the class has started.
Test scores expire after 10 years if developmental coursework has not started.
Placement Test Waiver Policy
Students may waive the placement testing requirements under the following conditions:
- Documentation of acceptable SAT or ACT scores. To be enrolled directly into first level curriculum English or math course, students would need to have a score of 500 on the applicable (Writing or Critical Reading, and/or Math) if taken before March 2016; a score of 480 on the Evidence Based Reading and Writing and a score of 530 on the Math portion of the SAT if taken after March 2016, or a minimum of 18 on ACT English or 22 on ACT Reading, or a minimum of 22 on ACT Mathematics. SAT and ACT examinations must have been taken within the last five years.
- Results of NC DAP or NROC placement tests taken at another North Carolina Community College System institution, meet Blue Ridge Community College scores, or equivalent, will also waive placement testing.
- Transfer credit (grade C or better) received from a regionally accredited institution for first-level curriculum English or Math courses will be accepted in lieu of placement testing. Developmental-level courses may be considered for transfer credit if taken at a North Carolina Community College. The student must submit an official transcript to receive transfer credit and to officially waive the need for placement testing. A maximum of 75% of the Total Semester. Credit Hours in any program can be accepted in transfer.
- Students who have graduated from a United States-based high school and who have an unweighted HS GPA of 2.80 or higher, will be waived from placement testing. Students with a HS GPA of 2.20-2.799 may enroll in a gateway course with a mandatory co-requisite. Students with a HS GPA less than 2.20 must enroll in a one-semester transition course. Students with an unweighted HS GPA less than 2.8 may choose to take the NROC placement test to attempt to exempt the mandatory transition or co-requisite course(s).
- Students who have completed an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution may be exempted from placement testing. The student must submit an official transcript to receive the waiver for placement testing.
- For certificate programs without developmental prerequisites, testing will be waived. For certificate programs that have developmental prerequisites and/or courses with developmental prerequisites, NROC placement testing is required, unless the testing is waived based on one of the above conditions.
Request a copy of Placement Test Scores
To request that an official copy placement of the test scores to be sent to colleges and universities, complete the Placement Test Scores Request Form. There is no fee for this request.
Servicios para estudiantes
(828) 694-1800 o 883-2520
Fax: (828) 696-2446
Campus del Condado de Henderson
Edificio del Sink
Campus del Condado de Transylvania
Edificio del Straus