Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) is designed to give you the essential skills required for entry-level employment as law enforcement oﬃcers with the state, county, municipal governments, or private enterprises. This program-certiﬁcation is a prerequisite to be a sworn law enforcement oﬃcer in the state of North Carolina. Successful graduates are qualiﬁed to take the state certiﬁcation examination.
BLET consists of 36 separate blocks of instruction such as ﬁrearms, driver training, motor vehicle law, and arrest, search and seizure. The BLET course is ﬁlled with practical exercises and an extensive ethics section that is woven throughout the training experience.
Blue Ridge Community College is proud to exceed the BLET minimum standards by adding additional training hours in many of our high liability and high risk blocks of instruction.
For our next upcoming course, please see out training calendar:Upcoming Training
Day BLET Program Schedule
- Enables the student to complete the program in half the time of a traditional program offering
- Program is four months
- Class meets Monday through Friday
- Mostly 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (with few adjustment to hours made for night training requirements, such Patrol Techniques and Driver’s Training)
- 5 to 6 p.m. for approximately 3 months, three days per week for Physical training
- Download application and enrollment form.
- Entrance Requirements / Prerequisites can be found at the North Carolina Department of Justice.
- Entrance requirements are also provided in detail within the BLET Admission, Policies and Procedures, Fees and Checklist.
Reading Requirements and Test Dates
Please contact our Program Assistant, Marcy Parsons at (828) 694-1739 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule the required reading test.
You may print the following forms-application from this webpage. Please review, print and complete all forms listed below. The forms below and supporting documents below must be completed before your interview.
Please staple the forms in the order listed:
- Admission, Policies and Procedures, Fees and Checklist
- F-3 (Personal History Form/Statement)
- Sponsorship Letter and Instructions.
The forms listed below must be submitted by the class registration deadline:
- Medical Screening Guidelines (to be reviewed and taken to your physician).
- F-1 (to be completed by the applicant and reviewed by a Physician).
- F-2 (to be completed by a Physician/Physician’s Assistant/Nurse Practitioner or Surgeon licensed to practice to practice medicine in North Carolina).
- Cholesterol Screening Report ( to be completed by a Physician, etc. as stated above).
- Medical Release Form (to be completed by a Physician etc as stated above).
Program Assistant – Law Enforcement
Law Enforcement Training Coordinator
Dean of Public Safety Training