Blue Ridge Community College signs guaranteed admission agreement with Gardner-Webb University
BRCC News | Published October 10, 2019
To make transferring to a four-year university from a two-year college an even more seamless transition, Blue Ridge Community College recently signed an articulation agreement with Gardner-Webb University on Oct. 9 ultimately guaranteeing admission to the four-year college for students who meet eligibility requirements.
Blue Ridge Vice President of Instruction Kathy Allen explained how this agreement simplifies the process for students and helps them achieve their educational goals.
Gardner-Webb President Dr. William Downs stated that he’s hoping to make GWU more accessible and welcoming for students of all backgrounds.
“I love the idea of increasing our transfer numbers and making that process as seamless and as easy for the students as possible. We are increasingly workforce conscious, and I believe the diversity between our programs will make us an easy choice for Blue Ridge students,” Downs said.
The articulation agreement is unique in that it is a guaranteed admission agreement, meaning any Blue Ridge student who meets the eligibility requirements will be guaranteed admission into Gardner-Webb.
Gardner-Webb University, a private, Christian, Baptist-related university, provides outstanding undergraduate and graduate education that is strongly grounded in the liberal arts while offering opportunities to prepare for various professions.
Blue Ridge Community College is a comprehensive community college within the legislatively created North Carolina Community College System that serves Henderson and Transylvania Counties. Blue Ridge Community College empowers individuals with knowledge and skills to enrich our communities and build a competitive workforce.
GWU and Blue Ridge will create and administer a program on each Party's campus called the Transfer Admission Promise: A Direct-Entry Admission Program (the "Program"). The Program name may be changed upon the mutual written consent of both Parties.
The Program will allow currently enrolled Blue Ridge students a direct-entry pathway to GWU available upon graduation from Blue Ridge Community College. Students who wish to participate in the Program must satisfy the following conditions:
- Be a currently enrolled student at Blue Ridge in a degree-seeking capacity;
- Submit GWU application for admission and disciplinary forms by GWU deadlines;
- Submit application fee or waiver and fulfill all commitment actions steps;
- Be in good standing at Blue Ridge and other institutions attended;
- Demonstrate good citizenship and conduct;
- Earn and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 at Blue Ridge and a minimum GPA of 2.20 in their most recent term; and
- Earn an Associate's degree from Blue Ridge in a college transfer program or in an applied program for which an articulation agreement exists.
- Enroll at GWU within one academic year (within the next two regular terms (fall/ spring semesters) of completion of the Associate's degree).
- Meet all admissions requirements of GWU.
While at the signing, Downs also praised the good work Blue Ridge does in preparing students for upcoming careers.
He added, “The students are getting prepared while at Blue Ridge, and once they come to Gardner-Webb, they’ll know they’ve found the next step on their college journey.”
For more information, visit https://www.blueridge.edu/.