Blue Ridge Community College signs guaranteed admission agreement with Mars Hill University
BRCC News | Published October 8, 2019
To make transferring to a four-year university from a two-year college an even more seamless transition, Blue Ridge Community College recently signed an articulation agreement with Mars Hill University on Oct. 7 ultimately guaranteeing admission to the four-year college for students who meet eligibility requirements.
Blue Ridge Vice President of Instruction Kathy Allen explained how this agreement simplifies the process for students and helps them achieve their educational goals.
Mars Hill University president Dr. Tony Floyd, J.D. stated, “I think it’s very important for students who want to pursue a four-year degree to not have obstacles in their way. The world creates quite a few obstacles – financial, peer pressure, family pressure, jobs and children – and Mars Hill is all about making things easier so they can focus on getting their degree and pursuing a career.”
The articulation agreement is unique in that it is a guaranteed admission agreement, meaning any Blue Ridge student who meets the eligibility requirements will be guaranteed admission into Mars Hill.
Mars Hill University is a private, four-year liberal arts institution located in Mars Hill, North Carolina with a satellite campus in south Asheville.
Blue Ridge Community College is a comprehensive community college within the legislatively created North Carolina Community College System that serves Henderson and Transylvania Counties. Blue Ridge Community College empowers individuals with knowledge and skills to enrich our communities and build a competitive workforce.
Mars Hill and Blue Ridge will create and administer a program on each Party's campus called the Promise Program: A Direct-Entry Admission Program (the "Program"). The Program name may be changed upon the mutual written consent of both Parties.
The Program will allow currently enrolled Blue Ridge students a direct-entry pathway to Mars Hill available upon graduation from Blue Ridge Community College. Students who wish to participate in the Program must satisfy the following conditions:
- Be a currently enrolled student at Blue Ridge in a degree-seeking capacity;
- Submit Mars Hill application for admission and disciplinary forms by Mars Hill deadlines;
- Submit application fee or waiver and fulfill all commitment actions steps;
- Be in good standing at Blue Ridge and other institutions attended;
- Demonstrate good citizenship and conduct;
- Earn and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Blue Ridge.
- Earn an Associate's degree from Blue Ridge in a college transfer program or in an applied program for which an articulation agreement exists.
- Enroll at MHU within one academic year (within the next two regular terms (fall/ spring semesters) of completion of the Associate's degree).
While at the signing, Floyd also praised the good work Blue Ridge does in preparing students for careers.
He added, “I heard from a ‘TED Talk’ that only 25% of people in the entire world are working in the field they have a degree in. So you could get a two-year degree at Blue Ridge, then easily transfer to Mars Hill and get your four-year degree and earn those skills that’ll best prepare you for your future.”
For more information, visit https://www.blueridge.edu/.