Student with laptop and calculator

Form 1098-T Tuition Statements

The Internal Revenue Service requires that Blue Ridge Community College report qualified tuition and expenses and scholarships and grants paid or posted to all degree seeking students accounts on Form 1098-T. The 1098-T is an information return that assists students in computing certain education tax credits or deductions for which they may be eligible when they file annual income tax returns.

For tax information, please visit the IRS Publication 970 where detailed information is provided about tax benefits for education. For additional information and guidance, contact your professional tax preparer.

Students have instant access to their Form 1098-T Tuition Statement. By providing consent to receive your 1098-T Tuition Statement electronically, you will be able to access and print your 1098-T as soon as they become available and will no longer receive the form in the mail.

Students who would like electronic delivery and instant online access to the 1098-T statement should login to their myBlueRidge student portal and provide consent using the “1098 Electronic Consent” option under the “Tax Information” tab.

The College will mail Form 1098-T no later than January 31 to students who do not consent to receive Form 1098-T electronically.

Collection of Social Security Numbers

Blue Ridge Community College is required to collect Social Security Number (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) from all degree seeking students in accordance with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulation §1.6050S-1(e). The IRS also requires the College to notify all degree seeking students that if they choose not to disclose their SSN or TIN, they may personally be subject to a $100 penalty imposed by Internal Revenue Service. Additional information regarding the IRS requirements may be found under IRS 1098-T Tax Forms.

Students are asked to supply SSN or TIN to the College accurately on the admissions application and include the legal name as it appears on the Social Security Card or Taxpayer Identification. If the SSN or TIN that the College has on file is not correct, please notify the Registrar’s Office.

Frequently Asked Questions about Form 1098-T

Contact Us

Student Accounts/Cashier’s Office
Henderson County Campus
(828) 694-1721
Sink Building First Floor