A student is considered to be making unsatisfactory academic progress when his/her cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. This student will be placed on academic probation.

A student on academic probation for one semester will be required to complete an Academic Probation Conference with the counselor assigned to his/her academic program before registering for another semester. The notification will be sent to the student by letter.

The Academic Probation Conference

  • The Academic Probation Conference is not a punitive action.
  • This time between student and counselor is meant to be a time of exploration of concerns, problems, or issues that are hampering the student’s successful academic progress, and what solutions might be found.
  • During this conference many solutions might be discussed, including continuing with normal academic load the following semester; reducing the academic load the following semester; the student participating in academic assistance in the form of tutoring, counseling sessions, Student Success Center, or other appropriate resources; or the student changing his/her program of study.
  • The counselors at Blue Ridge may suggest a referral in order that the student might receive more in-depth counseling over a longer period of time.
  • All in all, the student should consider the Academic Probation Conference as a way of discovering means to achieve a more successful academic experience.


  • In certain circumstances, the counselor, in conjunction with the academic advisor, may institute one semester of academic suspension when it appears to be in the best interest of the student.
  • This option will be exercised only after two consecutive semesters of academic probation and when it is clear that another assistance for the student is not appropriate.


Contact Us

Counseling Services
Henderson County Campus
Sink Building
(828) 694-1800

View Counseling Services Office Hours, Henderson County Campus

Transylvania County Campus
Student Services Coordinator
Straus Building
(828) 883-2520 or (828) 694-1905