The Disability Services Office offers students with disabilities equal access to education opportunities. We specialize in helping students with disabilities adjust to being on campus for the first time. If you have a disability or believe you may have a disability, we invite you to visit us in the One Stop in the Sink Building.
Blue Ridge students now have access to valuable learning tools provided by Don Johnston, a leading company in learning technology. Snap & Read is a reading assistant providing easy-to-understand text, study tools, and translation. Co-Writer has word prediction, speech recognition, and language support. Students are encouraged to utilize these tools free of charge with their student account. To access these learning tools, go to snapandread.com or cowriter.com.
During your first visit, your documentation will be reviewed and you will be asked what will help you the most. Typical accommodations include:
- recording lectures
- extended time for testing
- calculator use
- note-taking services
- separate test setting
Your needs are unique. A plan will be specifically designed for those needs. During the term, if you realize that an accommodation is not working or that you need additional support, please bring that to the attention of the Disability Services Office as soon as possible.
Remember that it is your responsibility to inform the College of your needs and to request accommodations from Disability Services. Your instructors may note that you are having difficulty in class, but they will not ask you if you have a disability and require accommodations. Failure to register with Disability Services or to complete the paperwork will mean that you will not have accommodations for your classes.
In most cases, accommodations cannot be provided retroactively.
For the classroom or for any event on campus, Disability Services can provide sign language interpreters for students who are deaf or hard of hearing. Generally, a minimum of two weeks’ notice is required to ensure the availability of an interpreter. The responsibility lies with the student to request support services through the Disability Services office.
- Additional vocational, academic, and personal counseling is provided through Student Services and the NCWorks Career Center.
- Financial assistance for those who qualify is available through the Financial Aid Office in One Stop.
- There may be other financial assistance available for those who qualify:
- The College also offers classes that may be of assistance, such as developmental courses in mathematics, English, reading, study skills, and sign language. The Student Success Center offers assistance with independent work in many academic areas. The library staff will help with research and general use of the library. Please remember that you must request this support.
- All academic support services at Blue Ridge Community College are provided at no cost to the student.
Director of Disability Services
Fax: (828) 696-2446
- American Disabilities Act
- Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD)
- Assistive Technology Funding and Systems Change Project: United Cerebral Palsy Associations, Inc: provides assistive technology funding and systems change information to individuals with disabilities, family members, parents, community-based organizations, and state protection and advocacy agencies.
- Accessibility: Apple Computer, Inc. offers information about Macintosh technology solutions for disabled children and adults.
- The Learning Disabilities Association of America: The Association’s publications state that the LDA “advances the education and general welfare of children and adults of normal or potentially normal intelligence who manifest handicaps of a perceptual, conceptual, or coordinative nature.”
- Enrollment Process for Disability Services
- Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Disability Services FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Disability Services Faculty Handbook
- Disability Services Student Handbook
- An Open Letter to Parents of Students with Disabilities About to Enter College