SOLO: Student Online Learning Orientation
If you have not taken SOLO, it can be found within My Courses located in the college’s online Learning Management System (LMS). Once you have completed it, it will be removed from your course list.
Our goal is your online success:
Here at Blue Ridge, we want you to succeed in your online classes. This means making sure you know how to use the tools of our online Learning Management System (LMS) and that you understand what it takes to be a successful student (attitudes and behavior). You will learn that while an online course is not the same as a traditional face-to-face course, it is just as rigorous.
You will learn how to:
1. Identify the skills and behaviors needed for online success.
2. Navigate within the LMS environment.
3. Determine appropriate communication tools and techniques.
4. Submit common course activities (e.g., Forums, Assignments, Quizzes)
5. Review your course progress
6. Determine who to contact for the appropriate support.
SOLO is Required
For any student wishing to take an online course, you are required to complete the Student Online Learning Orientation (SOLO) prior to accessing your online course. The course only needs to be completed once to allow access to all current and future online courses.
SOLO may have to be repeated after four years since the date you completed it, or if our LMS goes through a significant change requiring you to retake it.
SOLO Completion Badge
When you have completed SOLO, you will receive a badge on your LMS profile page. You can access this badge by logging into the college’s online Learning Management System (LMS).
1. Select PROFILE under your name.
2. Select the SOLO Badge for more information and to access your unique Access Key.
- Courses may restrict access to course content until you have proven you have taken the SOLO orientation. Your unique Access Key can be copied and pasted into the SOLO Confirmation Quiz.