Federal and state regulations require that students receiving financial aid maintain satisfactory academic progress. Blue Ridge Community College applies these standards to all federal and state financial aid funds in order to maintain a consistent procedure for all students receiving assistance.
In order to be eligible for financial aid, students must meet the following minimum guidelines:
- The student must successfully complete at least 67% of all credit hours attempted.
- Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 (C) or better at Blue Ridge Community College.
- Students must complete their program of study in a timeframe not to exceed 150 percent of the credit hours required of the program. All credit hours attempted, with the exception of developmental classes, will be counted even if the student changes programs.
- Withdrawal — Students who officially withdraw from classes (or are withdrawn unofficially by their instructor for non-attendance) should understand their withdrawal might affect their eligibility for financial aid determined by this satisfactory academic progress policy.
- Grades — Grades of A, B, C, D, P or CR will be considered as hours attempted and earned. Grades of F, WF, WP, W, R or I will be considered as hours attempted, but will NOT be considered as hours earned. Grades of NS or Y will not be counted as hours attempted OR earned. Transfer credit hours accepted from other institutions are included in the calculation of the maximum timeframe.
- Repeated Courses — Students are permitted to repeat a class in which their prior grade was a “WP”, “WF”, “F”, “R” or a “D”. Special Note: This provision may not apply to a student who is receiving VA benefits.
- Enrollment at two colleges during the same term (Consortium Agreement) — A student’s academic progress will be calculated by BRCC as the Home Institution, with the 67% rule being calculated based on hours attempted at both institutions and the GPA from BRCC only.
- Developmental Courses — Developmental courses (designated by course numbers below 100, e.g. MAT 043) ARE eligible for inclusion in receipt of financial aid, and therefore, meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines. However, a student may only receive financial aid for a maximum 30 credit hours of attempted developmental courses.
Financial Aid Office
Henderson County Campus
180 West Campus Drive
Flat Rock, NC 28731
School Code: 009684
View Financial Aid Office Hours