hand holds file folder with papers


Privacy Rights of Students in Education Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment) FERPA, sets forth the guidelines for the release of student records to other parties. Under this federal law, students have the right to inspect their records and correct any inaccuracies that might be found in them.

The complete FERPA policy is also available via the Federal Department of Education’s website. For more information, or to obtain a copy of the Confidentiality of Student Records policy, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (828) 694-1811.

Blue Ridge Community College may provide directory information without consent unless the individual student declares in writing to the Registrar that such information is not to be made available. The College considers the following to be directory information:

  • Student’s name
  • County of residence
  • Dates of attendance, degrees, diplomas, certificates, or awards received
  • Major field of study or program
  • Participation in officially recognized activities
  • Photograph

The above information may be released by the College without consent of the student. This information is also available in the Blue Ridge Community College Catalog.

If you do not want Blue Ridge Community College to disclose directory information from your educational records without your prior written consent, you must notify the Registrar’s Office in writing.

Access to the record by anyone other than the student is limited and requires prior written consent by the student. Any person who picks up sealed copies of these records for the student must have written, signed permission to do so from the student.

How to request a transcript

All records submitted for a student’s file become the property of the College and a part of the student’s permanent record. High school transcripts, transcripts from other colleges, and other similar documents are not duplicated for any reason to any person, including the student.

Questions about the College’s release of student educational records policy should be directed to the Registrar’s Office:

Registrar’s Office
One Stop

Sink Building Room 122
(828) 694-1809