United States of America map outline with stars and lines in an abstract framework

State Authorization Agreements give participating institutions the approval to operate outside their native borders and within a different state, as long as they have agreed and adhere to the requirements determined by that state’s higher education regulatory agency. Every state is different and can have different educational requirements for courses and programs designed to meet credentials or professional licensure. This is important to know when considering registering for out-of-state courses or if planning to practice in another state.

National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements

NC SARA logoBlue Ridge Community College has been approved by North Carolina to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education.

The states in which the college is authorized to serve students are listed below. If you reside in a state not on this list, you are not eligible to register for courses at Blue Ridge Community College at this time. If you have questions, please contact our registrar’s office at registrar@blueridge.edu.

NC-SARA States
Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas
Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia
Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho
Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas
Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland
Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi
Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada
New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York
North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma
Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island
South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas
Utah Vermont Virginia Washington
West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming  

SARA North Carolina Portal Liaison:

Student Complaint Process

Blue Ridge Community College Complaint Procedures

Students must begin with the Blue Ridge Community College internal complaint or review policies and procedures prior to filing a complaint with a state agency. You can access the “Student Grievance Procedure and Due Process” in 4.16.1 of the BRCC Policies and Procedures Manual. You may submit your written complaint to:

Kirsten Bunch
Vice President for Student Services
180 West Campus Dr.
Flat Rock, NC 28731
(828) 694-1804

Scott Queen
Vice President of Economic and Workforce Development
180 West Campus Dr.
Flat Rock, NC 28731
(828) 694-1728

SARA North Carolina Complaint Process

Students may also file a complaint against a SARA North Carolina institution.

You can contact SARA North Carolina at:

Attn. Director of SARA North Carolina, NCSEAA
P.O. Box 41349
Raleigh, NC  27629
(855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
(919) 549-8614, ext. 4667

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

If the above process is not satisfactory, students may contact their State approval or licensing entity in the student’s State of residency established to handle student complaints.

In North Carolina, the contact is the UNC-System Office. Their website states:

If you were unable to resolve a complaint through the institution’s grievance procedures, please review the Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print out and complete the Student Complaint Form and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
223 S. West St. Suite 1800, Raleigh, NC 27603
Phone: (919) 962-4550
Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

SACSCOC Complaint Process

If your complaint is still not resolved to your satisfaction, you can reach out to Blue Ridge Community College’s institutional accrediting agency. Blue Ridge Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award the Associate in Arts Degree (A.A.), the Associate in Science Degree (A.S.), the Associate in Engineering (A.E.), the Associate in Fine Arts Degree (A.F.A.), the Associate in General Education (A.G.E.), and the Associate in Applied Science Degree (A.A.S.).

When filing a complaint to SACSCOC, please follow the guidelines listed in the “Procedures for Filing a Complaint against an Institution” of the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure. The contact information is:

1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
(404) 679-4500

Professional Licensure

If an out-of-state student plans to seek professional licensure or certification in the state where they plan to practice that may rely on the credits or certificates obtained at Blue Ridge Community College, please visit our page on Professional Licensure for assistance in determining who to contact and whether or not our curriculum will meet your state’s requirements.

State Authorization Liaisons per State