Regionally Increasing Baccalaureate Nurses (RIBN)
What is RIBN?
- RIBN students are admitted to both the associates and bachelors of nursing. Students have an option of completing the program in four or three years. See application criteria below.
- Blue Ridge Community College is the home school for most of the program
- Students are dual enrolled with Western Carolina University in this program, with classes online or at their Biltmore Park location.
- During the fourth year, students take classes at WCU, both at Biltmore Park campus and online.
- Students can work as a Registered Nurse after completing the ADN program and becoming licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN).
- Costs are kept low because most of the course work is completed through Blue Ridge.
- Students can apply for nursing scholarships as soon as they are enrolled in the program.
- Students will graduate with three years of nursing education and clinical experience.
Why is a four year nursing degree important?
- Most hospitals require a four year degree in nursing.
- The four year degree is the building block to master’s level nursing, such as a nurse practitioner, as well as advancement within the profession.
Students applying to WNC RIBN must meet dual admission requirements set forth collaboratively by Blue Ridge Community College and Western Carolina University.
Students must meet the following minimum requirements to be eligible to apply:
- General acceptance to Western Carolina University and Blue Ridge Community College.
- ACT score which meets minimum requirements for entry to Western Carolina University.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0. (If a student has less than 20 credit hours of college coursework, then this requirement will default to the high school unweighted GPA.)
- All applicants to WNC RIBN must take the TEAS® Version 6 (Test of Essential Academic Skills). Students may take the TEAS® after the WNC RIBN Adviser has determined eligibility to apply. A minimum score of 70 is required.
For more information about the TEAS®, please visit: https://www.atitesting.com
To schedule an appointment, please email Susan Greco at firstname.lastname@example.org
RIBN was founded by the Foundation for Nursing Excellence with financial support from The Duke Endowment, the Jonas Center for Nursing Excellence, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the NC Area Health Education Centers Program.